Time Commitment: Minimum of 10 hours each week for at least 12 weeks
Reports to: Community Engagement Coordinator
East Side Enterprise Building
804 Margaret Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55106
Contact: Song Xiong, firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-470-6866
As an intern for the Twin Cities Mobile Market, you will support community engagement and operations in the communities we serve. This opportunity will provide unique and comprehensive experience for those looking to increase their skills and comfort with community engagement, cultural competency, knowledge, and skills in the areas of nutrition, public health, human/social services, community organizing, marketing or other related fields. This position involves direct service as well as support tasks.
- Lead a project benefitting TCMM customers (policy, nutrition education, public health, community engagement, marketing)
- Support the overall operations of TCMM by assisting and engaging with customers on the Mobile Market
- Build relationships with TCMM customers to support strong community engagement
- Identify and implement a variety of customer/community outreach and engagement strategies that draw more people to the Mobile Market
- Collaborate with team members to do continuous quality improvement on outreach and engagement strategies
- Support with special projects as needed
- Fill an important role within TCMM operations
- Assist people in accessing healthy foods
- Develop increased self-awareness and deepened cultural competency
- Form dynamic relationships with people from many cultures
- Engage with current social issues affecting our community
- Must be a Junior, Senior or Graduate level student
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with little supervision in a fast pace environment
- Able to handle multiple priorities and manage time efficiently
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse, ethnic, economic, racial and cultural backgrounds
- Passionate about Twin Cities Mobile Market’s mission, willing and able to articulate that mission to the community
- Must have reliable form of transportation as intern will have assignments at different Mobile Market sites
- Able to speak another language is a plus
What is the Twin Cities Mobile Market?
A Market on a Bus! This program of the Wilder Foundation is a nonprofit grocery store on wheels that conveniently brings affordable and fresh fruits, vegetables, and other healthy foods to “food deserts” and other low-income communities. The goal of the Twin Cities Mobile Market is to make healthy food more affordable and accessible for those with limited incomes.
What is a food desert?
Food deserts are areas with a shortage of supermarkets and an overpopulation of convenience stores and liquor stores. As a result, many people are not able to access fresh fruits, vegetables, and other food needed for a healthy diet. Our goal is to make healthy food more affordable for those with limited incomes.