Convening Tough Conversations between Adolescents and Parents in Therapy
Join this trauma-informed training to learn about facilitating tough conversations and conflict relief between children and their parents in therapy
Price: Includes 3.5-4 CEUs
Standard Rate: $85
Student/Group Rate: $75
Wilder Center (Amherst H. Wilder Foundation)
451 Lexington Parkway North
Saint Paul, MN 55104
About this trauma-informed training workshop presented by the Wilder Community Mental Health & Wellness team:
Facilitating tough conversations as an attachment savvy professional takes a certain set of skills and use of self. It requires the ability to actively engage the “push-pull” relational system, tolerate explosive expressions of fear and loss, while drawing out humor and parent-child connection. Truly, the therapist must channel the art form of a dance choreographer, pulling together a cast of characters, movements, emotions and differing perspectives of parent and youth, in order to create a shared experience that moves and calms anxious hearts. Specific steps to “choreograph" these hard conversations will be outlined, role-played and practiced in this interactive, advanced therapy skills workshop.
What participants will learn:
- Assess the “push- pull” cycle at play between your client parents and teens with attachment losses.
- Observe and practice family therapy methods to effectively move into vs away from strong emotions between parent and teen.
- Create enough safety to explore attachment needs within actions and emotions.
- Facilitate relational repair interactions between teen and parent that strengthen the parent’s capacity to offer a "safe base” for a teen in this difficult launching time of life.
Who should attend:
Mental Health Professionals
Continuing Education Units Offered:
- Minnesota Board of Psychology - 3.5 Hours
- Minnesota Board of Social Work - 3.5 Hours
- MInnesota Board of Marriage and Family Therapy - 3.5 Hours
- Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy - 4.0 Hours
Questions about this training topic, please contact Krista Nelson at email@example.com.
This educational training workshop is provided by the Wilder Center for Learning and Excellence™.